We have recently comprehensively re-commissioned an MG YA. The engine received a full rebuild to near standard spec, carb overhauled with new spindle etc, and the distributor received similar treatment. So, one would expect the engine to be as sweet as a nut, but not so, much as I tried to set it up, I could not get an even idle, it would either race or cut out , sometimes it was OK. Timing was spot on and everything else was perfect. It appeared it was Father having all the problems and I was experiencing just a few, so I was getting frustrated with him, suggesting strongly that it was down to 'driver error' and nothing else. This morning, the usual problems, it would not start, when it did, it would not idle. I thought enough is enough and thought I should go back to basics. On checking that the piston was moving in the carb (SU H2) I was amazed to find it was sticking, this I thought was due to perhaps the jet having moved after I centralized it and set about looking further at this. This is when I discovered the cause of all our troubles.... The piston damper was slightly bent. This was in turn NOT allowing the piston in the carb to move freely as it should. With the damper straightened, and the carb re-set, the little XPAG ran as sweetly as ever.
Ok, not Spridget related, but the same trouble may one day effect an SU fitted to a Midget or Sprite. It took me an age to find the trouble, I hope with this information, it would take someone else a lot less time.....
Please add your bio info through your member profile page, or through your dashboard.